Newly-appointed Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa on Friday said that Pakistani troops will respond to ceasefire violations by Indian troops along the Line of Control (LoC) with ‘full force’, according to a statement released by Inter-Services Public Relations.
During a visit to the 10 Corps Rawalpindi and troops at forward locations along the LoC, Gen Bajwa said, “Each violation of any kind must be responded to with full force in the most effective manner.”
The Army chief was briefed on the security situation at the LoC “in view of recent violations and escalation by Indian troops and Pakistan’s own response,” the ISPR said.
The COAS said India’s ‘aggressive posture’ aims solely to divert the world’s attention away from ‘atrocities’ being committed by Indian troops in held Kashmir.
Gen Bajwa said the Kashmir issue will have to be resolved in line with United Nations resolutions keeping in view the aspirations of the Kashmiri people in order to achieve lasting regional peace, ISPR said.
The Army chief appreciated the operational readiness of troops and the ‘befitting response’ given to ‘unprovoked Indian firing’ across the LoC. Gen Bajwa directed troops to keep the highest level of vigil at all times.
The Army chief’s statements come at a time tensions between Pakistan and India are running high following an alleged ‘surgical strike’, unrest in Kashmir and the Uri army base attack in September.
Since then there have been repeated outbreaks of cross-border firing in Kashmir, with both sides reporting deaths and injuries including of civilians.
In November, at least nine people were killed and 11 others wounded when Indian troops targeted the passenger coaster in Azad Jammu and Kashmir near the LoC. A total of three soldiers and 10 civilians were killed, and 18 others injured in cross-border firing and shelling.